Students with Special Needs

New Haven Unified School District Special Services Department

Child Find

Do you know a child with special needs? 

We want to be sure that every child who has a disability receives the help he or she needs. We want to be sure that no child is overlooked. 

Everyone in the community who is concerned with the welfare of children may participate in the Child Find Process. 

The district actively seeks out and accepts referrals to assess children who may have a disability. This assessment is provided at no cost to the parent. 

A referral to Child Find may be made by a parent or by any person concerned about a child. Parent involvement and agreement is obtained prior to any further action. Information is confidential and the privacy of child and parents is protected. 

If you know of a child has one or more of the following disabilities (or you suspect a child has a disability.), please let us know. We’re here to help. 

  • Autism
  • Developmental disability (Intellectual Disability)
  • Speech/Language difficulties or delays
  • Blindness or vision impairment
  • Learning disability
  • Deafness or hearing impairment
  • Physical or orthopedic disability

For more information or to let us know about the student, please see the recommended contacts: 

For Children Ages Birth to Five:

Contact Special Services via email at

For Students in K-12 Program:

Contact the administrator at the school your child attends.


For students attending Private Schools in Union City, please contact the Special Services Department of the New Haven Unified School District Office directly at (510)-471-1100.